Wednesday, May 2, 2012

It's All Good


I watched an elderly man as he walked, ever so slowly, down the sidewalk. His pace caught my eye. I watched him for a few minutes and then my mind went to thinking about this man's past. He was an average sized man but he was thin and looked 'well kept.' He had a cardigan-style wool sweater on. His ball cap looked to be old but also in good shape. He didn't walk with a cane or anything else to help with his balance. He walked under his own power, just very slow. I wondered about his life and what he had accomplished. I thought about how his family would look. Was he a widower? These were a few of the things I thought about.
Our lives are filled with varying things. Some make through with good health and others struggle constantly.
I think about the various happenings in my own life and can't help but feel grateful for all that I am blessed to have.
I have studied this out in my mind and thought for hours, throughout my relatively short lifetime. I noticed that when I hold my hand a certain way that it wrinkles. Like I used to think as a kid, that should only be happening to my grandparents. That phase is beginning in my own life and it's quite interesting to watch it unfold. I'm not old, by any means, but these things are the reality.
Modern day scripture brings me a great deal of comfort and peace when I read and study it. In the Book of Mormon, the prophet Alma, teaches about the restoration of our bodies, after this life is over . He even teaches right down to the follicles of hair on your head. That part brings me a great deal of comfort, because my hair is falling out, even as we speak. On a serious note, no matter the circumstances, in this mortal life, one day, we will all find comfort in knowing that everything that is undone, in this life, will be done up, in the next life.
The slow stroll of the elderly man, will be once again be a brisk walk. That is sweet knowledge that brings me incredible peace and joy.
We just need to keep on going and live life to it's fullest.
Becky's dad drove me into work this morning and we visited about several different things. It was a choice moment for me. As I drive down the freeway, I am cautious as I drive and alert to the drivers all around me. Some mornings, I wonder if my drive to work might be my last. I try very hard to not take life fore granted. Live every day in such a way that even if it is your last, there is nothing that you've done that you will ever regret.
I can still see the elderly man in my mind. His slow stroll forced me to stop and reflect. His example of strength was enlightening. Let today be the best day ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment