Thursday, November 8, 2012

Significance

I understand a little bit better today how fragile life is and the reality that the partition (the veil) between this life and the next is very thin.  The older I get the clearer that knowledge becomes.  These thoughts seem to occupy more of my thoughts than they did when I was younger.  It's not all about this life but it is about doing today for what will come tomorrow and the effects that has on the future.  Don't misunderstand this as me saying that today isn't important because it is but, in fact, it is much deeper than that.
When I was a young boy my thoughts were occupied with what I was going to do for fun and at what time of the day that was going to happen.  Rarely did I think about the consequences of decisions made today on tomorrow.
I don't worry about a lot in my life I feel like the focus of life gets more finely tuned with each passing day.
I look at Becky and our children with a different set of 'glasses' than I ever have before.  I want so bad for their lives to be the best that they can be.  I want to be a good person--someone who wants to make good choices that profoundly bless the lives of others.  My desire is to leave this world a better place than what I found it.  Be someone who makes a positive contribution to the best of my own abilities.
I watched a man who seemed to struggle in his life at every bend in the road of life.  As he and I spoke with each other the verbalization of his current decisions of life didn't make much sense to me.  I listened carefully as he spoke and wanted so badly to correct him in his decision-making process but I didn't want to hamper his learning experience in any way.  That's a very hard thing to do but it's part of the learning process that each of us has to go through.  We visited for quite some time and I offered a quiet prayer in my heart for this man.  He will have some additional struggles before his mortal journey ends but so will I.
I am grateful for the experiences of life that add value and allow a clearer perspective.
Life is what we make of it, laced within it some struggles that strengthen us and make us who we are--and ultimately who we are to become.  Keep smiling and keep working hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment