Wednesday, October 17, 2012

We Are A Happy Family

Last night I attended a meeting where a young woman was set apart as a full-time missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, called to serve in the Marshall Islands. It was a wonderful gathering. There were at least fifty people in attendance and the spirit that was in the room was overpowering. This is the youngest child of the family and this young woman has a sister and a brother currently serving their own missions.
Can I tell you the thing that struck me the most about this family? They are not perfect but they are trying to do their best. Some of their children have made good choices and some have not. The parents love them and you could feel it.
In the October issue of the Ensign magazine, President Dieter F. Uchtdorf teaches that one of the keys to a happy family is the forgiving of imperfections of family members. I really liked that teaching. We all know that even in the closest families the difference in personalities sometimes causes conflict but the happy families forgive and find ways to move forward. That can be difficult in varying circumstances but I know that what President Uchtdorf taught is true.
Be humble and find ways to mend differences. This life is very short and before you know it your time is finished. I don't want undone issues when I leave this existence and I don't think that many other people do either.
Let's choose today to be happy and do all that it takes to fix the things that are amiss. Life is grand!
I will remember the feeling I had last night for a very long time. Their example was a treasure to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment