Tuesday, September 25, 2012

It's A Hard World

I found this particularly helpful for the young people in our society but I believe that this applies to everyone.

 

"You are growing up in enemy territory. When you become mature spiritually, you will understand how the adversary has infiltrated the world around you. He is in homes, entertainment, the media, language—everything around you. In most cases, his presence is undetected.
I want to tell you that which will be of most worth and most desirable. The scriptures say, “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom,” and I would add, “with all [your] getting get [going!]” (Proverbs 4:7). I do not have time to waste and neither do you. So listen up!
The moment I decided to be a teacher is very clear in my mind. During World War II, I was in my early 20s and a pilot in the Air Force. I was stationed on the little island of Ie Shima. This island, a small, lonely one about as big as a postage stamp, is just off the northern tip of Okinawa.
One lonely summer evening, I sat on a cliff to watch the sun go down. I was pondering what I would do with my life after the war, if I was fortunate enough to survive. What did I want to be? It was on that night that I decided I wanted to be a teacher. I reasoned that teachers are always learning. Learning is a basic purpose of life."  (Boyd K. Packer~Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
 
I am grateful for those who teach me the things that are right.  The good example that we set will be helpful to those who are watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment