Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Power of Giving.

Our daughter was hospitalized as an infant with an illness.  I had a good job but I had no time that I could use to leave work and be helpful to my wife at the hospital.  Becky spent many hours at the hospital with our daughter. 
I worked with a woman who was very kind and she and I had built a friendship that was solid.  She was much older than I was and she led a hard lifestyle to what I was used to.  I really enjoyed her 'hard' personality and the way she spoke bluntly about everything.  I had shared with her that our daughter had been hospitalized.  She kept pretty good tabs on the situation, asking me what the latest details were.  I came into work one day and she asked me how our daughter was and if there was progress being made.  I told her that there was progress.  She then asked me why I was at work and not up at the hospital.  I told her that I didn't have any sort of leave that I could use to be there but that Becky was there and that made me feel good inside.  A few minutes later, my friend Diane, handed me five twenty dollar bills and told me that she would pay for the day of work and she hoped that I would take leave ,without pay, and go to the hospital to give Becky a break.  I couldn't believe it!  I assured her that I would go and I gave her a hug and thanked her for her generosity.
A few years ago, my friend Diane, suddenly passed away.  I was asked to speak at her funeral.  One of the very first things I thought of speaking about was her generosity during a period of time when we were financially strapped and struggling with the stresses of a hospitalized child.  I told the congregation of people assembled that day how grateful I was for the love that she showed to me and my little family.
Sometimes the simplest gestures go a very long way, especially when the stress level is high for someone that is going through a tough time in their life. 
I continue to try and look for opportunities to lift the burdens of a people who need the help of another.  
Diane was good at anticipating the needs that we had, and then acting in a quick, concise manner.  That ought to be our sincere goal.

1 comment:

  1. I had not heard that your friend Diane had passed away. I'm so sorry for that loss, and so grateful for the eternal influence that good people have on our lives!

    ReplyDelete